Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Samplings

I've been dyeing up a storm of 1 gram sample colors. In the last year I've been gradually switching from premixed dye colors to mixing my own from primaries, shooting for an ultimate goal of being able to create repeatable colorways.

I wrote down every possible 2 color combination of my primaries and set to work making samples of those combinations in different concentrations. All of these were dyed at a 1% depth of shade, so they are very clear, bright and cheery colors. I plan on redoing all of these at a 0.5% or 0.2% depth of shade to get a good range of light and pastels as well, since some colors can change drastically when the depth of shade is reduced.


I'm currently working through some 3 color combinations, which are much more muted and subtle colors.


 I just submitted our application to vend at HandCrafted (in the Hills) Fiber Festival April 26th-28th at the Grand Gateway Hotel in Rapid City, SD. I was born and raised in the Black Hills, and I'm thrilled that I have the opportunity to be a part of a fiber show happening there.

A very large order of yarn and roving are on their way to me right now and I'm ready to get the dye pots cooking!

No comments: